Saturday, June 25, 2011

what I'd never done...but hope to do soon

I returned from Girls State and am proud to say that it was one of the best experiences of my young life. Not only did I get heavily involved in the governmental process, but I developed indelible friendships and grasped worldly concepts. 
The theme of this year was The Power of One Voice. The governor, lt. governor, attorney general, lawyers, war heroes...they all came to give us speeches and each one got me rethinking the path I was headed. 
I've always wanted to make a difference in the world. Always. When I was 5, I wanted to be a cowgirl with the best horse in the whole, wide world. When I was 9, I wanted to be an artist, my works portrayed in the streets of France. When I was 12, I wanted to lead the army and lead the country to victory. When I was 14, I wanted to become an author who used her earnings to build houses in Africa. When I was 15 and entered I high school...this all changed. My dreams, my aspirations slightly diminished and were taken over by a desire to get the best of all grades and to be the smartest of them all. 
I'm not saying I was completely selfish. I did collect money for charities, wrap presents to be sent to sick children, ran for breast cancer...and all that. However, what I didn't do was step out of my comfort zone and travel places. I didn't go to Africa to teach the young kids to read. I didn't go to Pakistan to help rebuild the houses. I didn't research  to find a possible cure to cancer. I never went passed my limits. Not one bit. 
I'm not a failure. No, I believe I have accomplished a lot and I'm proud of myself. However, I hope that in the future - in college, that is - I take the chance to try something new. Instead of being behind the scenes, I hope one day that I'm the one with the steering wheel, actually doing the works that I am passionate about. 
So, I thank girls state for making me a stronger person. I now know that where there's a will, there's always a way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment